Pages

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Tuesday: Fish Almost-Pot Pie

New recipe alert! New recipe alert! Mreep mreep mreep! I haven't done this one before but I liked the simplicity of it and I am trying to find ways to work more fish and seafood into my week, besides salmon and shrimp. I actually found four similar recipes, so kind of combined them. Cross your fingers, let's try!



You will need:


12 oz halibut or haddock or similar whitefish - I am using basa filets because that's what I could find
2 Tbsp cornstarch
4 oz cooked, peeled shrimp - I got the fun bite-sized ones, but you can use any size, really
7 oz canned corn
3 oz frozen peas - or green beans, which is what I found when I thought I had peas
2/3 c skim or 1% milk
5 oz low-fat cream cheese - or low-fat fromage frais if you can find. Quark would probably even work
3 oz fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs 
1/2 c grated low-fat cheese
Salt, pepper, thyme
Imagine 2/3 c milk somewhere in there

Preheat your oven to 375, spray a glass dish with oil. Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces and toss in the cornstarch until coated.





Put the fish, shrimp corn and peas / green beans in the square dish.



Whisk the cream cheese (or fromage frais), milk and salt and pepper in a bowl, then pour on top of the fish mixture. I thought about using sour cream or greek yoghurt instead of the cream cheese, but yoghurt tends to curdle at high heat and as for sour cream...I wanted my husband to at least TRY supper.
It doesn't mix extraordinarily well, might look into a recipe for homemade fromage frais

Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together, sprinkle over evenly. I made my own breadcrumbs by drying out my bread in a 200 degree oven for 10 minutes on a cookie sheet. I then tore the bread into chunks and processed them in my food processor. Or you know, just buy some. 



Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve with salad! I broke mine up into four pieces and it worked out to 350 calories per serving. DO NOT use that as guaranteed information, I used my own package information, my own bread and was able to add that up. It varies!






7 comments:

  1. Hmm, another not too lengthy meal for after work. We'll give this one a try also, happen to have some basa fillets in the freezer - probably we both hit the same "twofer" sale at Safeway. Not sure about the corn, though. Perhaps that's for your hubby, eh? Put corn on it and he'll eat anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe called for haddock, so I found I could use halibut, which I couldn`t find either. I was starting to get desperate when I saw the basa, worked fine! The corn is in most of these pot pie recipes, I think because it looks pretty. And people mostly think it`s a vegetable. But it`s a starch!

      Delete
    2. Good old Butcher Block had halibut steaks on sale, so I'll give this one a try again this weekend. To make a story shorter you could use frozen mixed veggies - corn, peas, carrots, I often do when making a casserole.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and cream frais? Your cooking school is showing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me, I mean fromage frais! How about leftover cooked brown rice replacing some of the bread crumbs? And how many ml is 5 oz of cream cheese, any idea? Maybe I can find a hint on the package. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I tried this last night.

    Of course, Grandma the Philistine, the recipe is just the starting point!

    I deep-sixed (so to speak) the shrimp. I substituted 1 cup frozen veggies (basic mixture of corn, peas, carrots, green beans) and added a chopped onion.

    I added pepper and thyme to the veggies before adding them.

    In the sauce I added 1/4 cup white wine and a splash of lemon juice to the milk. I couldn't figure out the oz. stuff for the low-fat cream cheese, so I just threw in the whole 250 gr container. I used my hand blender to mix it all up.

    The lemon juice and wine did curdle the milk, in fact, probably made it buttermilk. The jury's still out on that flavour - maybe less lemon juice next time.

    I got tired of heating up the kitchen to dry out one piece of bread, so I put the slice of Silver Hills bread in the toaster, then chopped it into as small chunks as I could. (I wasn't going to dig out the blender or whatever for one slice of bread!)

    Mixed the bread chunks with leftover cooked brown rice and grated old cheddar cheese.

    Other than that, followed the recipe exactly! And we found that the cornstarch was an unpalatable texture, so I'm going to leave it out next time.

    An alternate title for this recipe could be "Fish Crumble" or "Fish Crisp"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't like cornstarch, just plain flour would probably work as well. It's meant to be a thickener as it cooks.

      I typically use panko breadcrumbs for topping if you want to avoid the whole drying out the bread thing, they are Japanese bread crumbs and stay crunchy. Would make a nice fish crisp!

      Delete