Pages

Thursday 25 April 2013

Thursday: Crockpot Chicken Salsa

I don't even know if I can reasonably call this a recipe; it has only four ingredients and requires almost no hands-on involvement. Which also makes it awesome for after-work (or after class).



You will need:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg taco (or burrito, or fajita) seasoning, lower sodium
1 c salsa (your choice)
1/4 c fat free sour cream (you can also fat that right up, should you desire)
Optional: 1/2 small onion and 2 tsp cornstarch



It is just this easy: put the chicken in the crockpot and sprinkle with the taco seasoning:


Cover with the salsa and onion, if using:


Turn crockpot on lowest setting for 4-5 hours. Because these are breasts and not dark meat, they can dry out faster and sometimes the texture can be a little...pebbly. So shorten your cook time as much as possible, 4-5 hours, or another trick is to put the chicken in frozen. If you do that, you will definitely want to add the 2 tsp cornstarch to help thicken that sucker up.

That is the taco seasoning, not "carmellization"
After the 4-5 hours, remove the chicken to a platter and cover with foil, gently scraping the salsa back into the crockpot. Mix in the sour cream well and turn to high heat. Let warm for 5-10 minutes, spoon the sauce over the chicken to serve. I like to make this with brown rice and use some of the sauce on it, too.

I've mentioned how much I like spatulas, right?
 

I separated this into 4 servings and it came to 166/per serving for the chicken and sauce, plus my brown rice and salad. 
 

Enjoy!

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a fabulous after work meal! We're going to try this soon. I wonder how it would do with chicken thighs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried this last night, also works great with chicken thighs. It will now go into rotation with our other favourite meals. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That`s awesome! I love it when people try things from the blog, that`s the best thing ever. I can see how chicken thighs would work well if you were planning to cook them for longer than just a half-day for sure. Glad you guys liked it!

      Delete
    2. Now that I have more time to cook, I'm really appreciating this blog.

      Delete