Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

Sunday: Chicken Parmagiana

This is my own recipe, one that I developed a while ago. It's not at all like a REAL Chicken Parm that you can get at a restaurant in that it's not fancy, but it usually goes over well. It can be somewhat time consuming, so I leave it for a weekend or when I have a bit more time than usual. And someone to watch the kids. Thanks, honey!








1 lb chicken breasts
1 tsp each dried thyme leaves, dried rosemary and ground sage (or 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, whatever floats your boat)
Kosher salt
Cracked black pepper
1 c panko bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 Tbsp butter
2-28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 large onion (or two middling-small, like what I had)
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 Tbsp brown sugar
6 oz whole wheat fettuccine noodles
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, NOT the powdered crap





Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Grab your chicken breasts, flipping one over to look at the underside. There will probably be a tender, pull off whatever is hanging. I rarely find a tender whole and removing the bit that isn't fully attached will save time. Lay a sharp knife along the centre of the back of the chicken breast, start cutting along under the meaty part.


Cut gently


Lifting as you go
The other side
They call it butterflying, if it is prettier
So basically you are just making your chicken the same thickness all the way across. Now you are going to want to pound it out to make sure it is the same across. Put your chicken in a plastic bag; I like used Ziploc freezer baggies that I have washed out as they are thicker than your average bag. 

You want to use your mallet to gently pound the chicken. A little more finesse than Conan. You want to work in a circular fashion and pound towards the outside edges. And not too thin! Just try to get it even.

Not too hard


But a leetle bit of Conan is okay

When you have them all pounded, prepare your dipping stations. Salt and pepper your chicken; then dip in the flour:


Thoroughly pummeled
Seasoned
Flour-ing

Then the egg. If you find you are getting low on egg, you can add another one, or a little bit of milk.


Eggariffic
And finally the panko breadcrumbs. If you find you are getting low, just add some more with a little seasoning:

It's the gooey bit in the middle there
I made chicken strips for the wee fellas using the tenders I tore off

Ready for the oven
Place onto the cookie sheet, spray all with cooking spray. Flip and do the other side. Bake for 20 minutes per side at 375 degrees, checking for golden browning before turning.

Ready for flipping
Now to do the sauce. I like this sauce because unlike the other spaghetti sauces that I do, this one has a subtle flavour and lets the chicken take main stage.

In a medium Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat; saute onions, caraway seeds, salt and pepper for 5-10 minutes or until onions are golden. 



Alternatively, you could slice the onions
Add sugar; cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened.

Start your fettucine!!

Stir in the 1/4 c fresh basil leaves into the sauce and cook for 5 more minutes.



Check your chicken, remove from the oven as soon  as they are cooked through and golden brown on both sides, about 40 minutes. Spray the chicken with oil each time you flip.


Plate the chicken, either on or next to the fettucine, sprinkle the parmesan cheese on both. You can put back in the oven to melt the cheese if you like, but I find it melts pretty well on its' own. Plate and enjoy!





5 comments:

  1. For a mallet, how about a can of soup or one of the cans of tomatoes? And, uh, what the heck are panko breadcrumbs???? Would boneless, skinless chicken breasts be acceptable? That IS an interesting tomato sauce.

    You deplore the "powdered crap", but Grandma the philistine uses it all the time, oh well.

    Also, editing note - here I'm channeling Grandpa Phil for you. "its" = means "belonging to it" notice, no apostrophes - ' - anywhere. (Just like "his" "hers" = "its".) "It's" means "It is"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely could use a couple of cans of soup, I like the mallet because you can kind of work towards the edges, flattening them out that way.

      I actually did use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I know how to de-bone and de-skin but life is just too short.

      Ditch the powdered parmesan!! I will send you a parmesan cheese grater!

      I have atrocious punctuation, it is definitely one of the things that makes me stand out as a non-writer. But I can spell like crazy!

      Delete
    2. Opps, sorry, panko is a brand of Japanese breadcrumbs, they stay crispy and don't get soggy like regular breadcrumbs.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm agonizing. This blog is so intimate I forgot it's public. I was thoughtless, I shouldn't critize you in public. I apologize. And look, I should talk, notice the crummy punctuation in the editing note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, no worries! I'm sure everyone has figured out that you are my mom. So, moooooommmmm, okay!

      Delete