Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

Monday - Black Bean & Pork Stirfry

This is so fast and so yummy that I would have it every week if I didn`t get the side-eye from my husband whenever I suggest it (green beans, see). Also, it doesn`t have actual black beans, in case you were avoiding it for that reason (Mom). I was able to feed it to everyone tonight, including the 1-year old, so I am taking it as a win.






You will need:

3 Tbsp black bean sauce (in Asian section of most grocery stores)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
Pinch granulated sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb ground pork
3 green onions, sliced (white and green parts separated)
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 c green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (approximately)



This would be a great time to start the rice, don`t forget to make extra for tomorrow! 2 cups raw worked for me with lots left over. In a small bowl, whisk together black bean sauce, cornstarch, vinegar sugar and 1/2 c water, set aside. Don`t worry that the cornstarch immediately goes to sludge at the bottom, we`ll get it later.

Sludgy!

Heat 1 Tbsp of the vegetable oil at medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Or a wok, if you have one and that will work with your Western stove. Cook the pork, breaking it up with your handy-dandy flat wooden spoon. Scoop it into a bowl and set aside.



Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the pan, stirfry the white parts of the green onions and the ginger for 30 seconds. They are going to jump all over the pan, so keep an eye out. Add the green beans, cook for 2 more minutes.

Before...
Jumpy!

Green beans are a calming influence

Add the pork and black bean mixture back in, cook for 2 more minutes. Add in the green parts of the green onions; cook for one more minute. You will notice it getting very thick very quickly, you may thank Mr. Constarch.

Mr. S (Sludge) Cornstarch, that is

Done! Serve over rice. 40 minutes for the rice and you can prep and make everything in that time.

Neeeeaaarrrrrr

Far!

2 comments:

  1. Is this black bean and Pork Stir Fry is good for kids? Because I want to cook it on Sunday because my kids will visit me in my house. I'll wait your response. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You bet, my kids love it. Even the baby! The only thing I do a little different is if you have smaller kids, I would cut up the green beans a little more. Thanks for reading!

      Delete