Pages

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Wednesday: Grilled Basa with Herbed Rice

My hubby wanted to get in on the action; he picked this meal. He probably won't get to eat it fresh, as he has been dragged back into shutdown, kicking and screaming, but I'm sure he will be there in spirit. The rice has so many layers of flavour and the fish is such a nice complement; this is a year-round winner fer sure. Dude.




You will need:

1 Tbsp butter (always unsalted, all the time)
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 celery stalk, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 c brown rice
4 green onions
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
2 c chicken stock
1 tsp kosher salt
3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs basa fillets, or other white\redfish, like red snapper, flounder or sea bass
1 Tbsp creole or potlatch seasoning

Not pictured: garlic AGAIN!


First, prep your veggies. Chop your onions, mince your garlic and dice your celery. I love dicing celery (but then I am a bit strange) because it makes squares easily. So tidy. Tomatoes, not so much, but dice them too. Slice your green onions thinly and chop your parsley.

Because I am using brown rice, I am going to do a quick par / pre boil on it. Rinse your rice, then bring to a boil with two cups of cold water. Cover it, cook for five minutes and turn off. Let sit.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, melt the butter in a large-ish saucepan. Add the celery and onion, cook until almost softened, about 2 minutes. Add in the garlic, cook for one more minute. Just one!



Drain your rice, if required, and stir in the rice, green onions, tomatoes and parsley. Ccook for two more minutes. Stir alla time.



Pour in the chicken stock, the salt and bay leaves, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is all absorbed, 20-25 minutes. Let sit while you do the fish.

Oil up your fish and your grill, sprinkle on the seasoning. Warm up the barbecue. I am using the potlatch mixture from Williams Sonoma because I love it so, but a creole seasoning or anything like that would work.




Grill 3 to 5 minutes per side at medium high heat, these suckers are pretty thin. There are a couple of different ways to check fish, sticking a knife in the centre for 10 seconds to see if it becomes warm is one, looking for flaking is another, waiting 5 minutes per side is another yet. Whatever floats your boat, sailor. My husband favours the I'm-tired-of-looking-at-it approach.




I separated this into 8 servings and came up with 207 calories per. Either a good salad, with maybe some goat cheese or nuts, or some veggies would put us within range of our 400-500 calorie per meal goal. Maybe wine! We could totally add a glass of wine! Maybe even a glass of Pinot Grigio! Why doesn't everyone leave your favourite wines in the comments?

Enjoy!





7 comments:

  1. How opportune! I happen to have some basa fillets defrosting in the fridge as we speak, so I'll try this for tonight's dinner.
    I like the method of flavouring brown rice; you take out the bay leaves at the end, right?
    Pinot Grigio would be very nice with this, Hatfield's Fuse from Blasted Church (which I think is a PG) is one of my favourite white wines, but I don't think it's available outside of British Columbia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay! I found Blasted Church, but got the Pinot Gris and the Cabernet Sauvignon. I'll give it a shot with leftovers from this and do a separate review for that. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
    2. Well, there you go, I didn't know that BC has a wine they actually call Pinot Gris. We don't drink wine unless we have company, so we haven't been drinking any in forever.. I'm glad for you that it's available in Alberta, as I say, it's one of my favourite wineries.

      Delete
  2. NOTE TO SELF! REDUCE CHICKEN STOCK TO MAYBE 1/2 CUP!!!!! Isolde must be using basmati rice or something that needs more liquid, what we got was one of my favourite pet peeves, mushy rice. Even drained and fried, it was still mush.

    It tasted pretty good, though. Need a way to keep the fish hot while serving up, perhaps keep it warm in the oven in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's no good! Did you drain the rice well before adding it? I use a calrose brown rice, which is a medium grain, but it didn't go mushy at all. I had to cook it the longer time, about 25 minutes.

      I'm sorry the recipe didn't work out for you! That is the baby's favourite rice, which is awesome except that he only likes to feed it to himself. So you can imagine how much of it we go through.

      As for the fish, I didn't even start it until the rice was done and set aside, making the fish the very last thing done. That's the problem with basa and lots of different fish, they are so thin and take so little time to cook; also cool quickly.

      Delete
  3. I did drain the rice. No big deal, I just know that next time to reduce the liquid - I'll just fiddle with it awhile. It's nice to have a "herbing" recipe for rice. I'll report back when I get it right for the long grain brown rice I use.
    We did the same with the fish, and it was piping hot when we took it off the barbecue, but it cooled very quickly. Maybe we should have grilled it longer (still cool on the inside?) but it was cooked right through.
    I'll keep trying with this one.
    Curiously enough, I wasn't notified when you responded to this comment, maybe I have to subscribe to every comment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, instructions for long grain brown rice:

    For the initial parboiling, use 1 cup of water only (I used 1.25 cup last time and the rice still needed draining) and .75 cup chicken stock for the final simmer.

    ReplyDelete