Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Tuesday: Salmon Penne with Parsley Sauce

I like that this can be served hot or cold, a little less excited because the original recipe called for low fat crème fraiche. Being that I live in North America (do I mention that enough? cause I can totally ramp that up) in a small town, crème fraiche is tricky to come by. I know how to make it, but making it low fat means yoghurt or something else that will curdle in heat. However, since this does not involve direct heat, I am going to try two different methods; let's see what works!



You will need:

1 lb salmon filet, skinless
2 c whole wheat pasta
1\2 lb asparagus or 1\2 c peas
1\2 c fat-free Greek yoghurt
2 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
3 Tbsp parsley, chopped finely
Zest of one small orange
Salt, pepper



First, prep your veggies and fish. You want the asparagus in bite-sized pieces, so trim off a third of the stocks, cut what remains into one-inch pieces. Rinse and put in a steamer basket. If you are using peas, thaw the frozen ones and um, measure out the fresh ones.




Stir the yoghurt and buttermilk together with a fork, whisking to get rid of any lumps. Set aside. Alternatively, I have stirred one tablespoon of buttermilk into a cup of homogenized milk and let it sit out overnight. I am going to check the consistency and see which one tastes better \ has the best consistency.





Cut your fish into bite-sized pieces as well, put on a heat-proof plate and cover with foil.



Boil a pot of water, add in the pasta. Bring back to a boil and put your salmon plate overtop. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until both the pasta and salmon are cooked. Sometime in there start steaming your asparagus, if you are using it, for 3 minutes. Set aside.



Mix the faux crème fraiche, parsley, orange zest salt and pepper together in a large-ish bowl, taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. If you are serving this cold, allow the salmon, pasta and asparagus to cool a bit before adding to the bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour. If you are serving this as a hot supper, no such reserve is required, mix it all together immediately and have at 'er.

I used organic flat-leaf parsley because curly parsley just wasn't pretentious enough. Plus they were out at my grocery store

I used a rotini / penne combination



I made this into 4 portions at  320 calories per, using the Greek yoghourt blend. I am going to add a salad and call this a good summer supper.



Enjoy!

Neeeeeaaaar!

Far!

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this sounds like a nice cold supper for a hot sunny summer day.
    And if one doesn't want to waste time/money obtaining buttermilk, one can spend hours figuring out how to make 2 TBSP or whatever buttermilk with vinegar (take two (2) microns vinegar...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I typically do to make buttermilk is just add a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk and wait for it to curdle. In this case, maybe I would use the rest of that cup for making buttermilk biscuits? No waste!

      Delete