Pages

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Tuesday: Turkey Parmesan Meatloaf

The tricky bit with lower calorie loaves of meat is that they can be a little bit dry. Here I added in spinach and grated carrot and onion, they add a nice moistness and slip my family some veggies at the same time. Win win! Also surprisingly yummy cold. In a sandwich with a tiny bit of mayo, raw onion and some pepper - amazing! And yes, it is miserable here again, so we get the non-grilled meal. One day it will be nice and there will be BBQ!


You will need:

2 tsp butter
1 large onion (or two small)
1 small carrot
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 c fresh spinach
1 lb ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
Salt, pepper
2 slices whole wheat bread, not fresh - or maybe Whole Grain Whole Wheat??
2 Tbsp ketchup
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.



Grate your onion(s) and carrot into a non-stick saucepan. Add in butter and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for just one more minute. Just ONE!



Remove to a bowl, let cool. Add three tablespoons of water to the hot pan, cook the spinach until it wilts, under a minute.



Remove to a cutting board, let cool and then mince finely. I know, you could cut up the spinach before you wilt it, but then all the green stuff ends up on my board and I like it to be in my belly.


Tear the bread into chunks and whirl in a food processor until reduced to small crumbs.


Small-ish, anyway
Dump the turkey, thyme, sage, salt, pepper and egg in a bowl.


Cover with the breadcrumbs, then onion mixture, then spinach and ketchup. Mix together, using a spatula orrrr, the best mixer of all, yer fingers:

It's like a spa for your hands
Add the Parmesan cheese last, give it a quick grope and scrape it all into the prepared loaf pan.


Bake for 45-55 minutes, checking to make sure it has reached an internal temperature of 180 degrees before removing.


Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then place on a plate. Remove the paper and slice into 4 servings.

Soo much less cleaning


I came up with 250 calories per serving, once I added some asparagus and a half cup of brown rice, I was nicely within the Weight Wise 400-500 calorie meal recommendation.



Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like another yummy recipe. A little bit of work, but one could make a couple of them at once and freeze the other one for a day when time is short.
    What about a wine recommendation? Pinot Grigio?
    Where did the advertisements go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to get the other computer running, because that's where all the ads were and then, yerg! But I got it working on the wee fella now.

      I really do like this recipe, mostly because it is just lovely cold, I could totally see doing two at once, great idea!

      I am still mulling over the wine recommendations (mulling! Get it?) because I just am not crazy knowledgeable, but I do love wine. Soon!

      Delete
    2. I was wondering if your Alberta wine expert would be chiming in.

      Delete