Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Wednesday: Pork / Chicken Adobo

This meal is dealer's choice: it works equally as well with pork, chicken or veal. However, go ahead and try to find veal in a small town. I dare you. Chicken is fine if you use a cut other than breasts, say a thigh or something that can take a long braise. I'm using pork because that's what I have and I've found it to hold up the best. Easiest meal this week!




You will need:

1 lb boneless pork, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 c water
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt



Only three special steps for this meal. Say it with me: Three special steps!

Step One: Put all the ingredients into a pot, let sit for 30 minutes. Technically, I had another half a step, my pork was fatty and needed some trimming.



Step Two: Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour.



Step Three: Remove bay leaf and serve over rice.



I portioned this into four servings at a measly 138 calories per for the pork. I added half a cup of brown rice and some steamed veggies and I was well under my goal of 400-500 calories per meal. Here's to lean pork!




Enjoy!

2 comments: