Pages

Thursday 16 May 2013

Thursday: Crockpot Curried Chicken

I am apparently fixated on curry dishes this week. I renovated an old recipe (yes, I added a bathroom!) but there are still a couple of tweaks I will recommend. This is one of my Thursday-I-Have-Class Meals, enjoy!



You will need:

1 lb chicken thighs (I use boneless skinless because life is just too short)
1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp curry powder
½ tsp chili powder
Salt, pepper
375 g potatoes (3 large-ish or bunch of little ones)
1 small onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic
1 c frozen green beans


First, trim all the fat off your thighs (I WISH) and cut into 3 pieces length-wise.

Like zo
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the chicken and season with curry, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes. Browning is not necessary, but flip them once.


Browning-ish
Remove the chicken to the crockpot, pour about a quarter cup of the stock into the saucepan and scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom.

Edged wooden spoon!
Let the stock reduce a bit while you place the onions, garlic and potatoes on top of the chicken in the crockpot. Pour the reduced stock and the reserved stock over top of everything.




Cook on the lowest setting for 5-6 hours, give it a good stir before serving to incorporate the potato starch as a thickener.


Add in the frozen green beans, heat for 15 minutes more on high.


I made 6 servings at 386 calories per, which means that it is knocking up against the 400 - 500 calories limit per meal. Add some couscous or rice and a salad, done!

No comments:

Post a Comment