Pages

Thursday 16 May 2013

Sunday: Grilled Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce

I love this sauce! I've made several barbecue sauces over the years and this is my favourite so far by far. I had some side ribs I wanted to use up but of course, back ribs are the very best.



You will need:

Ribs - however many you want to feed you / your gang and whatever type
1 c ketchup
1/3 c soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey or agave
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp Worcerstershire
Dash-ish cayenne

I didn't do any prep pictures, as this is pretty straightforward. First, if you are using side ribs like me,cut them into reasonable size pieces. If you are going with back ribs, you will want to peel the membrane off the back of the ribs first. To do that, cut the membrane, then slip a butter knife under one cut side and saw along. As soon as you get a decent amount up, hold onto it with a paper towel and pull it the rest of the way off. Then do the other side until it is all gone. Cut into 4's. I am no expert on ribs, but I wouldn't use baby back ribs, because they are expensive and tender and we are going to boil the Sam Hill out of these suckers

Put your ribs in a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, skimming the foam that comes to the top. Let boil for at least an hour and a half, stirring occasionally. Tong them out and set aside.

Meanwhile! Sauce! Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and let cook for two minutes until smooth.

Slather the sauce all over the ribs and let sit for a while. I like to do it overnight, but I couldn't say for sure that it makes a difference, so I don't always. The sauce makes about a cup and a half, so use whatever is left while grilling.

Grill your ribs until you get a little char on 'em, smear on some more sauce, enjoy! I like to make it a meal with beans, buns, steamed veggies and salad. The sauce worked out to approximately  22 calories a tablespoon and I estimated two small racks of four side ribs as 370 calories.



Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Hmm, a different rib sauce! Although it might be a struggle trying to stray from the recipe laid down by the father-in-law, I might give it a try. What is agave? I know it's a cactus, and they make tequila from it, but what does one use in a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love Bill`s recipe! Agave is also sold as a sweetener these days, it is much sweeter than sugar and you can use less so people like it for that.

      Delete
  2. We used to boil the ribs, then I got into baking them for an hour or so in the oven, at 400 degrees. Then make the sauce and throw the ribs in, bring them to a boil and then simmer for awhile. This is good for when you don't want to barbecue them - but I know in your family that never happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a recipe that involves simmering the ribs in a brine, for much less time and with supposedly much less flavour loss, I think I will give that a try and see how it goes...

      Delete
    2. The brine would add more salt, so my doctor would wag her finger at me.

      Delete