Pages

Sunday 15 December 2013

Friday: Chocolate Bread Pudding

This is me mudder's old recipe, fantastic with vanilla ice cream. I tinkered just a tiny bit (sorry Mom!) but it is essentially original. I hope you enjoy!



You will need:

1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c butter
4 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c milk
1 c soft bread crumbs (about one of my ginormous pieces cut up)
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c walnuts


First prep! Turn your oven on to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. That's it! Well, measure stuff, but you were gonna do that anyway, right? On we go!

Melt the butter and sugar together on medium heat, add in cocoa powder and stir until thoroughly combined.



Remove from heat and add in the vanilla. Stir in one cup of milk and the bread crumbs, mix well.




Beat the two eggs with the remaining half cup of milk, add to the pan.



Bring the pan back to medium heat, stirring all the while as the custard thickens. When it has, stir in the walnuts.



Pour into a buttered (or oil sprayed, let's be real) 8 x 8 dish, bake for 20 minutes.



Chill overnight and serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Or Cool Whip, should you be a philistine (don't be a philistine). I cut this into 16 pieces and came up with 111 calories per square, so pretty nummy for not many calories.

Thanks, mom!



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Now, if only I could get Gpa Norm to like this, I would make it all the time. And your bread is amazing, even when reduced to breadcrumbs. (Makes fabulous coating for that Cajun seasoning fish recipe you have that I use all the time now.)

    As for tinkering with a recipe, if I ever do a recipe exactly as written, please contact the mother ship and have me recalled; it might be a perfect replica of me, but you'll know it isn't.

    ReplyDelete