Pages

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Chocolate Pecan Pie

I made this for Thanksgiving and it went over all right as per usual, but I couldn't help thinking that if I doubled the chocolate...AND revamped the crust...maybe it would be just that much better. So here we are!




You will need:

1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c butter, cold
2 Tbsp shortening, cold
4 Tbsp cold water
1/4 c butter (however warm you like it, no judgement)
4 oz (4 squares) unsweetened chocolate (this is not the same as dark, or super dark, or amazing dark or whatever)
2 c pecan halves, toasted
3/4 c brown sugar (because it tastes so good)
3/4 c dark(er) corn syrup - non-white basically
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs





First, prepare your crust, then assemble everything else while that is chilling. I like to use a nice wide bowl, the better to really integrate the butter and shortening. Add the salt to the flour, mix together - I like to use my pastry cutter because less dishes.

Dump in your shortening and butter, work with the pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture looks somewhat like breadcrumbs. I have also been told of another method, wherein you freeze the butter, etc, and then grate it. I am reluctant to try it because it sounds as though some of that butter, etc, would stay stuck on the grater and therefore have no chance of being in my belly, but by all means, someone give it a try and let me know!



Add in the water a tablespoon at a time, stirring the dough with a fork just until the mixture will form into one big clump. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until you need to take it out because you just realised it is already after 9 pm on a school night.







Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle (I have a mat that my sister-in-law gave me, best thing ever because I get a little wonky), dump into a 9 to 9 1/2 inch pie-plate.

Equipment Corner




Make a fancy crust if you like, I've been making pies for 23 years and they still look, um, homemade. Fold it over, crimp it up. Put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Yes, I know it's like 10 pm on a Monday!




When it's all purty, cover it wih foil and weigh down with beans or pie weights. I use beans because I always have beans. All ways. And I don't like to pay money for stuff you can only use for one very specific thing. Although I may just not be creative enough; what else could we use pie weights for? Ear hole stretchers, that's one! ANYway, bake for 15 minutes.




Remove the foil and beans or weights, cook for another 5 minutes, until you see a little bit of colour. Set on a rack to cool slightly. On to the chocolate!



In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter in a pan until almost combined. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Let cool a bit.






Meanwhile, put the sugar, corn syrup, eggs, vanilla in a large bowl, whisk to combine. Take 1 cup of the pecan halves, place in a plastic bag and bash with your rolling pin. I mean, it's right there.




When the chocolate mixture has cooled to the point you can put your hand on it, whisk it into the eggs and syrup mixture. Stir in the bashed and regular pecans. You totally toasted those, right? There is no comparison, if you haven't roasted yours, do so now. I'll wait. 10 - 15 minutes at 350.

 
Islands in the stream, that is what we are...




Pour the chocolate pecan mixture into the pie crust, bake for 45-50 minutes, until it is mostly set, but a little jiggly. Give it a full hour before cutting, baby gets messssy if you don't.




I am not going to do a calorie breakdown, because it would just make me not want to eat it, but then I would anyway and feel bad. Let's not feel bad, let's just have a tiny bit. Some things should not be made low calorie, they should just be made at 11 pm on a Monday night and immediately shipped off to wherever your husband works, especially if they've been asking for round two since Thanksgiving. Just remember this: in the immortal words of Alec Baldwin on SNL: Don't give your pie away with breakfast, makes you look cheap.






Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean "went over all right as usual"?!! This pie is so sinfully tasty and decadent, it's scary.

    ReplyDelete