Pages

Thursday 22 August 2013

Sausage & Pepper Pasta

I know some of my recipes can get a little...complicated, but this is a super fast meal that can be thrown together with anything you have in your fridge. For example, I had bison sausages, some chicken and a bunch of tomatoes and now! Now I have supper.



I used:

1 tsp olive oil
2 smoked bison sausages (hot Italian sausages would work even better)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp oregano, divided
1 tsp basil
Salt, pepper
1 onion
1 green, red or yellow pepper (I really like red but I had green, you know how that goes)
4 tomatoes (a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes would also work)
8 oz chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 c uncooked "smart" or whole wheat pasta

First, prep! If you have a smoked sausage, as I do, slice it into thin-ish rounds. If you have the type of sausage that has a casing, don't. Cook it whole and slice it after. Mince your garlic, slice your onion and peppers. Chop your tomatoes into small-ish squares, or open a can. Cut up your chicken and prepare thyself, it's cooking time!

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, NOT non-stick. Cook the sausages for 5 minutes, add in the garlic and cook for one more minute, just until you can smell it.


I didn't add any salt at this point because I am using smoked sausage, but go ahead if you are not. Add in the onions and peppers, sprinkle all with 1 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp basil. Maybe even a little pepper.


Cook for three to five minutes, until the onions and pepper have softened. Add in the tomatoes, some salt, pepper and the rest of the oregano and basil.


Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the chicken, cover and cook for 10 more minutes. Cook and drain your pasta.


Check your seasoning and the doneness of the chicken, give it up to five more minutes. I left some pieces big so I could cut them up for the kiddos.


Add in the cooked pasta, cover and warm through, couple minutes.


This made 4 huge or 6 reasonable servings, I went with the smaller size at 256 calories per and added a salad and bam! Done dinner!


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Still a lot of ingredients, though. Remember that cookbook I used to have, "No More than Four" - four ingredients per recipe?
    Anyway, you could also just throw the pasta into the mix rather than cooking it separately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I used it as a bit of a fridge cleaner-outer. I wouldn't necessarily want to cook the pasta with the dish, because the starch would make it super thick.

      Delete
  2. Guess we'll have to try it both ways, sometime.

    ReplyDelete