Pages

Saturday 20 July 2013

Chocolate Oat Sandwich Cookies: SHV

It's been a couple of rainy days, so now that I've baked a bunch and stocked up on bread, I thought I would make something chocolate-y. These cookies are different from most of the ones I make; for one thing the shortening makes them super flaky and they don't have chocolate chips. A cookie without chocolate chips in some form or another? What FOR?? However, they are one of my mom's favourites and they are nice to give oot.

I didn't intend to make these healthier, but ran out of all-purpose flour. I know, what??? I have several tens of pounds of flour in my pantry at any given point; turns out it was all  whole wheat or whole wheat whole grain or bread flour. So here they are with mostly whole wheat flour and a close eye on the fat. I am not always going to be making reduced-calorie versions of things, I firmly believe that some things should be made as they were intended, and eaten in teeny tiny amounts and truly enjoyed. These cookies are not those and so can take a bit of adjustment. Enjoy!



You will need:

1/4 c butter, softened
1/4 c shortening (I've also used lard, but I would not recommend golden shortening)
3 Tbsp sugar
2/3 c whole wheat or all-purpose flour (I used 1/4 c ap, then the rest ww)
1/2 c rolled oats (not quick, unless that's all you have)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp cocoa
1/3 c icing sugar

 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line a baking sheet with parchment paper (you will really really want to do this, these suckers stick) and get out a stand mixer.

Beat the butter, shortening and sugar all together until lightened and fluffy.



Add in the flour slowly, then the cocoa and oats.


Roll into 12 balls and place on your prepared cookie sheet.


Flatten the balls with a spoon as shown, or with a wet fork. A clean wet fork, mind.


Bake for 20 minutes or until just starting to brown on the bottom. Place the whole cookie sheet on a rack to cool; these can be crumbly and this helps them stay together.

Start your icing! Cream your butter, gradually add in the cocoa and icing sugar. You can either put the filling in a tube and pipe it out, or just use a knife / spatula. Whatever works best for you. You just want to make sure your icing is spreadable without being gooey. Add a tiny bit of milk if you find it is too stiff.

Spread some on a cookie, top with another. It's that simple! This recipe makes 6 sandwich (double) cookies at 324 per, which seems SO HIGH! I will be eating half of one tonight, and then the other half tomorrow, and then I think I will give them to my neighbor's husband to see if he wants to take them into work.








2 comments:

  1. You say these are one of my favourites, but I don't recall them at all. Look nummy, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be overstating, but a year or so back when I sent that big batch of cookies for Christmas; I asked you which ones were your favourites and you said those, so I made them for your birthday when you came down to see me birth your last and final grandchild.

      Delete