Pages

Monday 15 July 2013

Almond Cheesecake Brownies: The Somewhat Healthier Version

I felt guilty earlier; realising that I hadn't posted an actual recipe in such a long time, so I decided to whip up some brownies. Plus my awesome neighbour took my oldest for a bit in the afternoon so I felt like my batteries were all a-raring to go.

This is a recipe I've used for years, but I found myself horrified looking at the ingredient list, I mean, as if I am going to use a whole half cup of butter! As IF! TWO CUPS of white sugar???? Perhaps I could just inject it directly into my heart? Anyway, this is my first renovation but I can see there is a little more work to do. Will update then, but for now, enjoy this incarnation!



You will need:

1 1/4 c all-purpose unbleached flour (obv room for movement there)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c butter, unsalted (always!)
4 oz semisweet chocolate (I use Chipits but not all chips will melt properly, know thy chocolate!)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, 4 squares
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c white sugar
5 large eggs (5!!)
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 8 oz pkgs cold light cream cheese (12 oz)
3/4 tsp almond extract


Prep! Measure everything, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 13 x 9 pan with oil. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl or in say, a two-cup measuring cup.

Save dishes!
Melt the butter and two chocolates in a heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat. LOW heat. To make this faster, you could and probably should chop up the unsweetened squares, but then some of that chocolately goodness would not be in your belly. Up to you. My choice is clear:

In the belly it is
 Stir until all melted together and smooth. Remove from heat. V important, no scrambled eggs.



Stir in the brown sugar.


Add in four of the eggs and 2 tsp of vanilla.


Slowly add in the flour mixture just until blended.


Goo! Chocolate goo!


Place the cold cream cheese in a mixer, blend for 30 seconds then add in the half cup of white sugar.



Add in the last egg, almond extract and last 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract, mix until just blended.



Pour half of the brownie mixture into the greased 13 x 9 pan, spread to cover.


Using a large scoop, spoon out the cheesecake mixture in 6 large dollops on top of the brownie layer.



Dump on the rest of the brownie mixture, spread to cover.


Use a knife, dragging it along the length to mix the layers together, creating a marbled effect.


Marble-y!


Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, remove to baking rack to cool.


Cut into 32 pieces (4 slices one way, 8 the other), it works out to 133 calories each, which is not terrible, but I would still like to see if I can get a decent brownie texture with whole wheat flour. Maybe a whole wheat pastry...next time! Enjoy these for now!

Warmed with whipped cream would be amazing I bet!



2 comments:

  1. Probably a recipe for the autumn, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a couple of rainy days; it was perfect for that. I can't usually bring myself to heat up the whole house inside when it is so hot outside. It just seems really unfair to the air conditioner.

      Delete