Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Crockpot Herbariffic Chicken Stew with Buttermilk Biscuits

I usually do vegetarian on Wednesdays, but this week I have two appointments that day in two different parts of the city and a crockpot meal is just the ticket. Also, approximately eleventy-thousand inches of snow have fallen in the past few days, so a little comfort food is not going to go astray. The biscuits are super-fast and easy and can be done without a mixer.

Yay comfort food!


You will need:

For the stew:

4 cups carrots, either baby cut or coined (cut into thin-ish slices - I had massive carrots (again, not a metaphor) so I only had to use 2)

4 medium potatoes, dealers choice (I like red skinned) cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (about the size of a kids alphabet block)

1 large onion, chopped

2 celery stalks, sliced

2 tsp dried thyme leaves

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (must be thighs, breasts will dry oot)

3 c chicken broth

1 c whipping cream (or homogenized milk, which is what I can live with)

1/2 c all purpose flour

1 tsp dried thyme





Place the carrots, potatoes, onion and celery in a 5-6 quart slowcooker (I don't know what size mine is. It's big-ish and fits most stuff). Sprinkle with two teaspoons of thyme and salt and pepper. Top with the chicken and broth.

I lied and put the thyme, salt and pepper on top also



Cook at the lowest setting for 7 or 8 hours, then turn up to high.

Wait! It gets prettier!


Whisk the flour and whipping cream (or homogenized milk) with the teaspoon of thyme, add and cook for another 10 minutes or until it has thickened.

Necessary pic? Maaaaybe not


Taste it and add herbs / salt & pepper to taste. I find this can be a little bland, so make sure you taste before you serve. Don't keep opening it, though! Instead, start working on the biscuits.


For the biscuits:

2 c all purpose flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp dried herbs (I like to use a combination of thyme, rosemary and Italian seasoning. or just thyme)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c shortening (or lard. lard those babies right up)
1 c buttermilk*
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Picture that measuring cup on the right full of soured milk, instead of just vinegar


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a decent sized bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, herbs, salt and baking soda.

I like to use the pastry cutter for that - less dishes!


Cut in the shortening or lard with a pastry blender or two butter knives. You can substitute butter in part or full, but they won't be as fluffy. Does everyone know how to cut stuff into flour? A pastry blender is the easiest, but a couple of butter knives pulling in opposite directions will do the same:

Keep your fat in the fridge for this, you want cold shortening, lard or butter

One kitchen gadget I love


You want the mixture to resemble bread crumbs:

Crumb-y


Add the buttermilk. *If you don't have buttermilk, pour a tablespoon of white vinegar into a one-cup measure and fill the rest with milk. Let it sour and voila! Buttermilk! Stir it in, dough will be sticky. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and lightly knead 10 times. Pat it into a circle, aboot an inch thick. You can roll it, but you are just going to get a rolling pin dirty for no good reason. That is pretty thick, don't make 'em thin. Cut it into traditional circles, or squares, whatever! Those are your biscuits, freak them right up. I like to do dinosaurs.


Blurry dinos


Brush the tops with melted butter, bake for 14 to 16 minutes until just golden.

I couldn't just make ONE T-Rex!

They can over-brown on the bottom, so keep an eye on them for the last minute. Take them off the sheet immediately. Right now! Faster, soldier! When all is done, the chicken and stew is going to be amazing:

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?!?! Your name shouldn't be "Talkstoomuch" it should be "CookstooMuch!" I'm thinking if you're going to publish a cookbook, you should arrange to get paid for it somehow! This is a huge amount of work here, babe. The idea of just cooking all this food makes my eyes glaze over, never mind doing all this work to get the recipes online. Mind you, I'm at work on a Saturday (lunch break, really and truly, boss)so I guess you come by your workaholic habits honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, I DO cook too much sometimes, but I am a dedicated meal-freezer. There could be a nuclear event and the mister, I and the wee ones would be up to our ears in real food for a year.

      Delete
  2. Actually this is a recipe I'm going to keep around, sounds like a good one for working folks, except the biscuits look like they might be time-consuming. I know there's a way of spoon-dropping the biscuit dough on the top of the chicken while it cooks, thus making "chicken and dumplings" but it would take some experimentation to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the drop biscuits onto my pea soup, making what they call dough boys, but I'm not sure it would work in this situation, as you have to have the soup really hot for the dumplings to form. I'm not sure the crockpot would crank out enough heat for that.

      These biscuits are so fast, though! So fast! Mix dry, add wet, pat into a circle then dump on a tray and bake. Easy peasy! They take about 20 minutes all together, including baking.

      Delete
  3. I know about biscuits - you still don't have my killer brown sugar and ww flour recipe yet - btw, I always use my fingers to break the fat into little pieces - anyway, 20 minutes is a long time when you get home from work at 7:00. Good point about the crock pot - although if you turn it on high for awhile? That's hot enough to thicken gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, but most of that time is the biscuits in the oven, while you are setting the table and pouring milk.

      No, I don't have your recipe, send it! But don't use your fingers, that will heat up your shortening and the biscuits won't be as fluffy. Use a fork!

      Delete
    2. Re fingers - if you're quick enough they work fine. I can't remember, I think I always used margarine for the fat. I'll dig up the recipe - remember how much we all loved them?

      Delete
  4. Oh, and by the way, how are you sneaking vegetarian food by Mr. Man on Wednesday, or any other day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find he will try something as long as he doesn't KNOW it is specifically vegetarian ( like with the black bean casserole, I think he was feeling through it for the beef. With his mouth). But mostly I have Vegetarian Wednesday because he isn't here, that is his night oot.

      Delete
    2. Meanwhile, the kids are enjoying a bunch of different choices, and that's good.

      Delete