Pages

Thursday 6 March 2014

Mini Banana Nut Chocolate Chip Muffins: SHV

I had three bananas aboot to take a turn for the worse and since my wee hooligans are taking snacks to school / preschool these days, I thought I would make something small enough for them to pack. Also, since I'm a buzz kill, I thought I would make them as healthily as possible. Yay!



You will need:



1 c whole grain whole wheat flour
1 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Bit of nutmeg
3 overripe bananas (frozen is otay, as long as thawed)
1/2 c 1 % milk
1 egg
1/4 c vegetable oil
104 ml unsweetened applesauce (one of those kid-sized ones, just under half a cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c mini chocolate chips (trust me, worth going tiny)
1/2 c walnuts, chopped

Not pictured: Milk, dang it

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, spray two mini-muffin tins with oil.

This is a super-fast recipe, and calls for the Muffin Method. I know, right? For muffins and everything! Basically, that means dry in one bowl, wet in the other, add and mix a little as possible. SO! Dump both flours into a medium bowl, mix in the baking powder, bit of nutmeg and salt.


In a large-ish bowl, peel and mush your bananas. Add in the milk, applesauce, oil, vanilla and egg, stir.




Add in the flour mixture, just stir enough that it is all combined.



Stir in the chocolate chips and walnut pieces


I used a cookie scoop, but however you do it, fill each mini-muffin tin cup 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. I didn't use muffin liners because it just ends up being more work removing them for the wee kidlets in the long run for me, but use away, should you be inclined!


Remove from the oven, let sit for 5 minutes in the tin on a rack.


Remove from the tin and let cool fully on a wire rack. Better air flow!


The yield is about 34 mini muffins, at 84 calories per, they are a somewhat healthier version of what you can buy. I didn't add any sugar, figuring the applesauce and bananas would do the trick. And they did! Moist, yummy muffins for all!




No comments:

Post a Comment