Pages

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Muffaleta Sandwiches: SHV

Back in 2010? 2011? I was in a series of cooking classes at NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology for those of yous ootside of the area); this is one of the first things we made. After several litres of mayonnaise. Anyway, I haven't made it since, because I am the only one in my house that loves olives like we should all love air. HOWEVER, if you've read this blog before (Mom), you know that this day of the week is also known as Vegetarian Wednesday or HusbandisoutsoIgettocookweirdfoodday! Yay for unusual food!

Once I started messing around with the ciabatta bread, I couldn't get these sandwiches out of my head. You can also use an Italian loaf, or even just whatever bread you have kicking around. The cheese is similarly customizable by your fridge, as is the meat. Use whatcha got!




You will need:

1/2 c large green stuffed olives
1/3 c unstuffed sliced black olives
2 tsp capers
1 Tbsp EVOO (Yes! Finally the extra-virgin olive oil!)
1/2 tsp fish sauce (or anchovy paste)
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Black pepper
70 g light cheddar or marble cheese (you know, a little over 2 ounces, enough to cover two sandwiches)
90 g fat-free chicken kolbassa (sounds disgusting, tastes delish), about 12 rounds
4 slices ciabatta bread (or Italian loaf)




This recipe is basically all prep, no cooking. Chop all the olives up niiiice and tiny, start filling a large stainless steel bowl.




Mince the garlic really finely, along with the capers, dump along with the rest of the ingredients into the bowl. Give it a good stir, cover and refrigerate while cleaning up and prepping the bread, cheese and meat.




Lay out your bread on top of a large piece of plastic wrap. Spoon a quarter of the olive mixture on each slice, gently press down with your spatula. You were totally using a spatula, right??



Place one full layer of cheese across one side, top with the kolbassa (honestly! It tastes so.good!) and top with the other half of the sandwich. Carefully. Pick up the olives that fell out and push them in the sides. Or eat. I did both.


 


Wrap as tightly as possible, refrigerate for at least half an hour.



This makes two large sandwiches, and the filling, including meat and cheese, comes to 297 calories per each. I didn't include the bread, because I didn't work out the nutritional information for the ciabatta bread. I didn't work that out because it is too tricky to figure out how many / what size each piece would be. So just add in your bread and Bob's your uncle! I wonder if a pita would work...





Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. sorry for the late comment. What's the under 6 review of the sandwiches? Kind of like a pesto, ham and cheese sandwich, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest little really like it the first time I made these, but I hogged them all to myself this time. All for mommy

      Delete