Pages

Sunday 5 January 2014

J's Custom Carrot Cake

I know I have touched on this a couple of times, but I really do have the best neighbour ever. And she has birthdays and everything. This year I figured I would make her something very specific to her, as she has a couple of food sensitivities. Also, food opinions, which I think is very important, in that she digs whole grains and natural as much as possible. The cake turned out to be completely rich and luscious! Here's what I came up with; I think next time I will switch out some butter for applesauce and do the calorie count. Happy birthday, J!





You will need:

1 1/3 c whole grain whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (fresh grated if you can. toadilly worth it)
1 c melted butter
1/2 c agave nectar
3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 c grated carrot (about 2 bigguns)

Icing:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c butter, also softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 c icing sugar, already pretty soft

I did no prep pictures, but really, there isn't much prep to carrot cake. Grate your carrots! Spray oil in two small, round cake tins. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Done!

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl, set aside.

Mix the butter, agave nectar and applesauce in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time.

Dump in flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in the carrots. Split it into the two cake tins, bake for 30-35 minutes.

Let it cool, make the icing! Beat the cream cheese and butter together in the cleaned bowl of the stand mixer, until creamy. Add in the vanilla, then gradually add in the icing sugar. Slowwly, slowly. Schmear on cooled cake and voila!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete